Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Super Bowl cake & cookies

I bought this pan at Williams-Sonoma a few years back on a crazy sale, it was originally like $35 and I got it for $4, however, it's been sitting around ever since. I mean, how many occasions can you think of to make a 3D football trophy cake. Well, I finally came up with one - the Super Bowl.

Andy was out of town in Phoenix and I got the hair brain idea to make this cake because I had some "spare time" on my hands and we were going to the Super Bowl party of all Super Bowl Parties - the Kirkpatrick's. We've been attending their party for about the past 4 years and look forward to it every year. The company and the food are great! Did I mention they are from Louisiana, so this year was extra special in that their "home" team was playing, The Saints. They went all out, Gumbo, Jambalaya and Wings... delicious!

So after setting my sites on this project, I called up the only person I knew who could help me pull this cake off, Jeanie Smith - she and her husband Troy own the one and only Baja Burrito in Berry Hill and she makes the most amazing, detailed cookies I've ever seen. I knew she would have all the food coloring, frosting bags, tips, cookie cutters that I would need. I was right... and even more impressed by her stash than I had hoped for.

It was way more detailed of a task than I had estimated and ended up staying up well past 1 am decorating and assembly all my goodies. Mind you, I made the cake from scratch so that added a lot of time to my project, however it was well worth it.

Here are some pics of the evolution of the cookies and cake, I know my technique is a bit off, but I am super proud of the outcome.





Vanilla Cake Batter from scratch









Vanilla Buttercream




Chocolate Buttercream




The front of the cake






The back of the cake







Royal Icing















1 comment: